Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
jyhfeei
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
Re: How to test used fuji 18-55 before buying
In reply to El Chubasco, 3 months ago

El Chubasco wrote:

Hi.

I am asking here for advice. I am thinking to buy an used 18-55mm through craigslists but I would like to test it before I buy it. Any recommendations on how to test it? How does one check that OIS is working properly? What is the slowest speed hand-held to get sharp results at 55mm?, How to check sharpness, focus speed? What should I expect? I only own the 35mm and I know that both lenses are not similar.

I will appreciate your comments.

In general, if the optics of the 18-55 are aligned and undamaged, the lens should be pretty sharp.  If this is sharp enough, this is your call.  To check if there is a sharpness/centering issue with of that particular copy, you could use Photozone's DIY centering sanity check.

http://forum.photozone.de/index.php?/topic/830-do-it-yourself-centering-sanity-check/

Also, the OIS firmware for the 18-55 was recently updated.  I would make sure that the lens firmware is up to date.  Then test the OIS as suggested by others.

jyhfeei's gear list:jyhfeei's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow