What should I do about my "new" E-M1 from Amazon that turned out to be used?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
A Maria
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
What should I do about my "new" E-M1 from Amazon that turned out to be used?
5 months ago

I just purchased an Olympus OM-D E-M1 w/ kit lens from an Amazon seller for $1300. It was listed as being in new condition but arrived to my door with 192 actuations, and a record of having been powered up 42 times. It also failed to arrive with a warranty card.

I'd read about this issue on other threads, which is why I checked just as soon as the battery was fully charged. My questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to check with Olympus and find out if the serial number has already been registered, short of trying to register it online myself? (which I don't want to do until I decide whether or not to keep the camera, which will depend on whether or not I can get the warranty in my name)

2. Based on the number of power ups + actuations alone, should I keep the camera if the seller or Amazon offers a partial refund? My biggest paranoia comes from the thought of dust/grime having gotten into the camera when it was opened up by an unknown person swapping the body cap for a lens and then back again.

3. If I can register the warranty & I'm willing to take a partial refund, what should the minimum amount be? What if I can't register the warranty?

This is not only my first new camera in a decade, but my first foray into digital camera ownership. Sorry if all of this seems overly cautious!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow