Canon 5D3 vs Nikon 800E noise tests

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Thoughts R Us
Contributing MemberPosts: 531
Like?
Re: Canon 5D3 vs Nikon 800E noise tests
In reply to kymarto, 5 months ago

These test results confirm what everybody else found out when these two cameras were introduced and a spate of comparison tests hit the web.

As others have mentioned, the sensor in the D800 is an absolute engineering breakthrough.  Kudos to Sony.

I have shot with both cameras, and i would contend that the major advantage of the 5d3 is it's superior AF.  The 5d3 AF is really superlative, and trumps the D800.

If someone were having to choose between the 2 cameras for a purchase, that would be the main selling point for the 5d3 over the D800.

It's funny because before Canon trailed Nikon in AF, whereas Nikon trailed Canon in megapixels.  It was debatable as to overall IQ.  But now they've kind of switched places...it seems they listened to their critics and reacted.

I would expect the next Canon 5d iteration to have a significantly improved sensor that remedies most of not all of their shortcomings.  If Canon can make a sensor leap equal to what they did in going from the  9 point AF of the 5d2 to the 61 point AF of the 5d3, that will be a significant leap indeed.  Then they may be able to challenge Nikon in the sensor department.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow