Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Thoughts R Us
Contributing MemberPosts: 549
Like?
Re: Kelby has gone too far now - Launches Canon In Action Tour.
In reply to rayman 2, 8 months ago

rayman 2 wrote:

SVPhotography wrote:

Put it this way - if Canon offered you a couple of 1Dxs with any lens you want to go with it for free - wouldn't you switch?

G3User wrote:

Scott denied that it had nothing to do with the money when he changed to Canon from Nikon. Now it's evident he was not telling the truth. Today, he announced the launch of a Canon fan boy tour. Also, DXO marks say that he was not telling the truth when he said that the 1Dx was better than the D4. Nikon DXO marks clearly trump Canon's. What a joke Scott Kelby. I no longer subscribe to your videos or watch your pod-casts.

nope !

The key isn't so much that Canon gave Kelby some free equipment...that's nice, but for someone of Kelby's stature that's probably not a dealmaker.  The key is that Canon has offered sponsorship of Kelby events...and that is far more important and lucrative to Kelby and his business model.

So the question should really be: if Canon offered you a ton of sponsorship money, that basically sustained and elevated the bread and butter of your business, would you take it?

I submit that virtually everyone would, because your business model depends on it.  It's a very difficult to make money in the world of professional photography these days, and if Canon can basically ensure your success then of course you will go with them.

Keep in mind that Kelby's main business isn't shooting pics and selling them...it's putting on events, educational seminars, photo walks, etc...and also selling his books/dvd's/instructional software.  Canon now is underwriting a good amount of that.  Witness this Canon in Action Tour.  That's big bucks to Scott.

So I don't blame Scott, as long as he is transparent about his ties with Canon.  Given that his tour is called Canon in Action, I would say he is being about as transparent as possible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JeezNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow