I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
skyglider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,860Gear list
Like?
Re: I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:
In reply to Rossuziers, 3 months ago

Rossuziers wrote:

I'm a bit foggy about backups in general..

I'm a home user.. Mostly surfin', minor JPG editing & while I have a lot of pics stored, I don't shoot nearly as much as I once did...

I only want to Clone my new pristine HDD (after initial driver & MSupdate & possibly a few extra program installations along with possible bloat-ware removals) as an emergency measure to be able to start anew, with a quick swap-out should the original HDD break down physically to where it's unrecoverable & also only because I have an extra HDD handy that won't be doin' anything.. I figure anything other than that should be covered by a System Restore..

I'll figure something else out for file storage backup...

Here's what I did when I setup new Dell PCs for my two friends (mine is a self built custom PC). Before doing anything and definitely not going online, I burned the Dell system recovery discs on DVD blanks.

Then I used Windows 8 backup program to backup their 1TB HDDs. Win7 also has a system image backup. Here's a link on how to do that:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

With your current old PC, download the backup program you want to use. Then copy it to a USB stick and transfer it to your new Dell PC. Then install it and do a full backup (not clone) of your 1TB HDD.

I bought, for myself (before) and my friends (when they bought their new PCs), Terabyteunlimited's "Image For Windows" (IFW) backup program which currently sells for $38.94. I've been using Terabyte products for many years and they all work perfectly. The really nice thing about IFW is that you only need to buy it once. All future upgrades are free, unlike backup programs like Acronis which require paying for the next major upgrade. I (and my friends who are not computer geeks) find IFW very straight forward and easy to use. It has SSD support for restores on proper boundaries. IFW comes with "Image For DOS". IFD is burned on a CD and used to restore IFW backups. If you decide to buy IFW, get the GUI (Graphical User Interface) version of IFD. It will work on your i5 PC but even if it doesn't, I'm sure Terabyte will allow getting the CUI (Character User Interface) version for free. If you would like to try the trial version, it is here:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

If you want super fast boot up and loading of PSE7 and other programs, I recommend buying a 120 GB SSD .... snip ....

If you want/need Dell's tech support during the warranty period, then don't do the SSD thing as Dell tech support may not help you. Dell's tech support will ask your permission to control your PC remotely and may need to get data from their recovery partition (which is normally the last partition on the HDD).

Sky

I figured the SSD might be an option somewhere down the line after the warranty period is over & then maybe use my proposed cloned HDD to clone to the SSD instead of using the cloned HDD.. I'll deal with having to update it from there with whatever MSupdates transpire over that time.. I don't think there will be all that many program additions to worry about..

I'll have to do some extensive homework to clear the general fog I'm in related to general file backup... Just the little bit you've brought up above about it is lost on me... I'm way more in the dark about such things than can be cleared up here but I appreciate your effort..

I'll also be making recovery disk right out of the box as well just to have & probably misplace like I've done with my current setup recovery disks...

Thanks much for your input...

DON'T restore a cloned HDD of your 1TB HDD as it comes from Dell into a new SSD after your warranty expires. The alignment of the HDD may not be correct for a SSD. Instead use a backup and restore software that is SSD aware and will force alignment on proper boundaries. IFW and IFD are SSD aware programs. I'm not sure about Win7's image backup.

All the best,
Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow