What else is happening before the first curtain on E-M1?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,064Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter video
In reply to Alien from Mars, 8 months ago

Alien from Mars wrote:

Anders W wrote:

We don't have a high-speed video for the E-M1 yet (as far as I know). But here is one at 1200 fps for E-P2. The SCO is slower and more gradual than the three other shutter-blade movements, wouldn't you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Mg5Y3pZSE

Thanks for the link, it's a cool video. And you are right, second curtain opens slower (but IMHO it's not a hard proof yet. One has to calculate the time it takes for the SC to travel and compare with the graphs we have and to keep in mind these shutters are different!). And also there's some movement of the 1st curtain at the end.

It's not hard proof yet, but it's an indication. I don't know if it is possible to download a video from youtube or play it back frame by frame where it already is (it seems not). If we could do that, we could of course verify the timing, but it seems roughly right based on my eyeballing.

And yes, as far as I can tell, the first curtain actually moves up behind the second after the second has closed for read-out. The two curtains then open slowly and simultaneously so that light can first hit the sensor again in the middle of the frame and then gradually expand its coverage. Possibly just a nice way of restoring live view just as with fading in/out (or whatever it is called) when making movies.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow