Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,990Gear list
Like?
Recent experience with Nikon Service
8 months ago

About a year ago my tripod tipped over with my D800 and 24-70 f/2.8 attached. Hit soft rug from low height on side. Only evidence of anything wrong was the filter ring had slight crack. Initially photos did not show anything wrong. So, kept using the lens and camera. Camera always had the left focus sensor error to a small degree, not enough for me to send it in because I seldom used the left focus sensor. More recent photos showed right side of image focusing closer to camera than optimum at center when pixel peeping.

1. Sent lens in to Nikon L.A. for repair advising them it was impact damage. Cost $435. After repair and return, images with the 24-70 f/2.8 still showed right side defocus.

2. After discussion with Nikon sent D800 to Nikon L.A. for evaluation. Cost $236. After return all my lenses now required zero fine focus adjustment and the left focus sensor no longer showed the error. Great. However the right side of image using the 24-70 f/2.8 still showed the defocus problem. Much testing by me showed the 24-70 f/2.8 still had the focus de-centering.

3. After discussion with Nikon sent the 24-70 f/2.8 back to Nikon L.A. Cost $0. They sent the lens to Nikon N.Y. Returned to me in a very beat up box but with the lens well bubble wrapped with no apparent damage. Careful testing now showed no defocus of the right side of an image (real and target photos) and I could not make fine focus any better than at zero using optimum PDAF, CDAF and manual adjustment. Before repair it was optimum at -8.

The end result is after about $650 my D800 is better than new and my 24-70 f/2.8 lens is excellent. I am happy again.

I must say it took some dialog and photo exchange with Nikon during this process but at all times they were extremely polite and professional.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow