Taking industrial machinery pictures - need help!

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CarbonManTX
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Taking industrial machinery pictures - need help!
4 months ago

I have been in the industrial industry for 20 years and am also an avid goto enthusiast. As an application engineer I take many industrial application photos for reports, etc. Over the years I have had always wanted to get better quality pictures. This is the photo enthusiast side in me but the problem is many plants do not allow cameras though I can tend to get way with the smaller point n shoot type camera. I have a few obstacles yet want better pictures.

I started with the Olympus 3030 years ago an then went to the Sony Cybershot series and have been with the Cybershot series since. The latest 2 I have been using is the DSC-TX9 and the newest is DSC-TX30. Overall these have given me good results and the range in which I can take the picture is very good. I range from macro to 4ft away.

The other obstacle I have is I am unable to set up any equipment IE: tri pod, lighting etc. Most often I need to use the flash, portable small light, or flashlight. It must be done during my inspections and not require much extra time nor elaborate set ups. This is why the point n shoot has worked so well. I may be limited but thought I would reach out. I am by no means an expert with any camera and certainly not with a point n shoot. My regular camera is a Nikon D7000 and this is way to large to get in a industrial plant for pictures.

My question is what camera option is there to keep me in a the small pocket size to a bit larger yet cover the range, and produce higher quality images?

I have bought a Sony RX100 11 but cannot seem to get the good close ups from 2-4 ft away. The Cybershots let me get close up shots from any distance.

Here are some image types I shoot for work.

Feel free to respond here and or contact me for more info.

shot from 3-5 ft away

Shot from 3-5 ft away but zoomed in as motor was running and could not get closer

Close up of commutator

CarbonManTX's gear list:CarbonManTX's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX30 Sony RX100 II Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow