What else is happening before the first curtain on E-M1?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,529Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter video
In reply to Alien from Mars, 5 months ago

Alien from Mars wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Yes, it is conceivable that the peak you marked is FCC. Whether it is or not should be readily testable (are you listening radsaq?) by comparing ordinary 1/8-second antishock with no antishock. If your theory is correct, we should see an increase in the time between the peak you marked FCC and the one you marked FCO. If not, we should instead see the peak you marked FCO divide into two separate ones.

Sounds reasonable.

As to SCO: I think it might well be the case that the second curtain opens quite slowly and gradually and that's why we see "a long peak" (from about 0.120 to about 0.180 in the first graph) in this case. It wouldn't have to wait for the entire sensor to be read but could start opening as soon as the relevant rows have been read. Any other/better ideas?

I find it unlikely that SC would open slowly and move while sensor readout is in process. Makes no sense. But that's just MHO.

I still think that the second peak (of marked as "SCO?") is the SCO event and the first one (of those marked) is cocking of 2nd curtain for that movement.

And what would all the noise from about 0.120 to about 0.180 in the first graph and in the neighborhood of those two peaks be about? And where would the corresponding "cocking" of the FCC be?

While no high speed and precision is required in that case (as with FCC) smaller forces could be employed there. But of course we cannot say for sure without high-speed video.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow