Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Camley
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
Re: Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?
In reply to Jkim7, 6 months ago

Jkim7 wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm pretty set on getting an A6000, and from what I understand mirror less has pretty much caught up with DSLRs. Especially with the AF of the A6000, wouldn't an A6000 be just as good as a D5300? Is there any reason why I should prefer a D5300 over it? It's just that I still see so many people buy t5i's and D5300s and entry level APS-C DSLRs.

Try them out in your camera store and see which you like best, based on the type of photographs you take. DSLRs and mirror less cameras have different strengths and weaknesses. Both are good for general photography but many people have become fierce and often unreasonable champions of one type over the other!

The new A6000 is a very good example of a mirror less camera. Stay with the 3:2 aspect ratio (APSC or full frame) which is better suited for landscape shots. Also, these cameras have larger sensors which give you more cropping capability.

The D5300 seems to be a very capable DSLR. Also try the Canon 70D or the T5i. Canon and Nikon have quite different controls and you may prefer one over the other. Pentax has some interesting models you could try.

People still buy DSLRs because they are excellent for a wide range of photographic tasks. Compared to mirror less, they generally have larger controls, better handling for telephoto lenses, good viewfinders which don't use up battery power, longer battery life, faster focussing and better subject tracking. There is a vast choice of lenses and every possible type of accessory.

Mirror less cameras are smaller and lighter and are good for travel or walk around cameras. Lenses are smaller as there is no mirror assembly to clear.  I particularly like the new full frame mirror less cameras like the Sony a7 for their excellent IQ in such a small package, but they do cost more than the APSC models and are best suited to wide to short telephoto use.

Enjoy your new camera.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow