Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
Regular MemberPosts: 497Gear list
Like?
Whatever it is, it needs a leaf shutter...
In reply to tex, 3 months ago

...or even better, an electronic shutter, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards since the chip is already designed.

Tex, thanks for your reasoned, and reasonable, posts in this thread. I'll chime in.

First, put me down in the school that says that more resolution and lower noise is useful for making photographs, not just for bragging rights. I have an aged H2D-39 that, under the right conditions -- lots of light and not much scene contrast -- can put my FF cameras to shame. I normally print on C-sized paper if I don't have an order in hand, and you can definitely see the difference at that size. However, I will say that the new Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 is making that comparison closer than it used to be.

I think that one of the reasons the Hassy does such a good job is the easy control of the big honkin' mirror (once you've figured out how to wrap your finger around the grip just right) and the close-to-vibrationless leaf shutter. The more resolution increases, the bigger problem vibration is, and it's hard enough dealing with environmental vibration -- wind, trucks, subways, etc -- without having to struggle with the camera's own vibration.

A leaf shutter also means you can carry around smaller, battery-powered strobes and still overpower ambient light if you need to.

I'm looking at replacing my H2D-39 with a CMOS camera. It would be nice is I could use the Hassy lenses that I own, even though they're big and heavy since they're designed to cover a full film 645 frame. There are two possibilities right now: Hassy and Phase. The Hassy is a lot cheaper for me, since I'd need a H4x to use the Phase back, but there's no live view without tethering, which is big problem for me. And I just can't get me head around spending all that cash for the Phase, especially with rumors like the one that started this thread around.

So, like a deer in the headlights, I wait, transfixed, for Sony to announce something. Not for Leica, although the chip is a perfect fit for an S camera, since their glass is so expensive. Not for Pentax, which has shown no consistent commitment to the market.

Jim

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow