Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Antony John
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?
Re: Hyperbole on steroids!
In reply to 1w12q312qw1, 6 months ago

1w12q312qw1 wrote:

Anthony,

It's heartening that I heartened you with my epiphany.

Newspaper printing-presses can be stopped because that is the "production" stage, a prelim before landing in the customer's hands. The D600 had already been through the production stage with thousands of units produced at a cost of millions and millions of dollars to Nikon. They made a decision in the beginning to wait and see how it played out, then offered basic maintenance to the affected sensors. As time went on I'm sure they said "Houston, we have a problem." and DID take further action by replacing shutters. And today they've really bit the bullet by offering the voluntary recall.

Maybe they didn't see the looming class action lawsuits or China kicking them to the curb, so they did what they felt appropriate at each stage of the ordeal. And early-adopters of the D600 have every right to have a bad taste in their mouths. No one lost their life (I think) but there were probably many Excedrin-headaches along the way.

Stan

Agree, it's heartening to know that you were heartened knowing that your epiphany heartened me

There's always inertia with launching a new product as you mentioned. I would suggest that Nikon's first response when the problems had been identified was to fix the manufacture of new D600s ASAP and then respond to the existing products on the market and in customers hands. I doubt anyone outside Nikon will know if they could or could not have responded quicker than they did. It is, as they say, history now. Let's hope that the problems are finally resolved to the satisfaction of most.

Enjoy your day

Antony

-- hide signature --

AJ
Carpe diem - or not ...

Antony John's gear list:Antony John's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow