ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FujLiver
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
The 35mm question and the 1.8G FX
4 months ago

So, as described in another thread I needed to choose a 35mm lens

This is my favourite FL and is expected to be on my Df a lot of the time and therefore I want it all good, from people via urban to landscape. Not interested in action shots though.

I have been reading extensively (probably too much being a geek) and have had some use:
24-70mm for a week on a D700
35mm Sigma Art for 2 hours - sent back due to live view failure and front focusing issue
35mm Nikon 35mm f1.4G on D800e for 2 weeks

So it's basically down to the Sigma 35mm Art, Nikon 35mm f1.4G and Nikon 35mm f1.8G fx.

So managed to try another Sigma today and also a 1.8G FX.

I bought the 1.8G.

Firstly the sigma had the same issue as the last one, no LV focus. I guess this is a firmware update but the shop didn't have the dock in stock. Also it front focused as well. This is something that would also need to be fixed with the dock.

Then I tried the 1.8G. Blown away by it:

1. Really light, together with the Df a real light walk around combination
2. Surprisingly good build despite weight (as camera labs noted)
3. When I used it a few things really jumped out super fast silent focus. Very solid about focus point, on the sigma every time you press focus you can hear and feel it adjust, on the 1.8G if it's acquired focus it knows and doesn't bother again.
4. But the sharpness at f1.8 in the centre, wow. What's going on here ? Have the top lens company's now just all got the best software and lens design is now a much more refined science ?

Niggles ? a few I guess. The focus ring is a bit lightweight, the colour would be much nicer black ....

he the front element is interesting, it's on the surface and very close to the front ring. If you don't normally use filters I would strongly consider with this lens.

So I saved 30% of the sigma price and 70% of the Nikon 1.4 price and more then 50% of the weight !

With the excellent 50mm f1.8G I think I am on the way to own the 85mm f1.8G and 28mm f1.8G completing the new holy quad !!!'

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 +3 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow