Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 19,052Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not a 12-35 F1.8 - F2.8?
In reply to JeanPierre Martel, 8 months ago

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Anders W wrote:

superstar905 wrote:

You are probably right. Can you explain in simple terms, or perhaps point me to a resource?

The fact that a 12-35/1.8-2.8 for MFT is equivalent to a 24-70/3.5-5.6 on FF with regard to total light on the sensor, DoF, and diffraction

In the XIXth Century, big Daguerreotypes needed long exposure time in order to collect enough light.

So what?

Even taking account the influence of the total amount of light on the picture noise, most of m4/3 users couldn't care less that the big FF sensors need more light than m4/3 sensor because they are bigger. That's their problem.

Could you please explain your claim "that the big FF sensors need more light than MFT sensors because they are bigger". On what ground would that be the case?

What we care about is the amount of light per mm2 on our sensor: a 12-35mm F/1,8-2,8 m4/3 lens will take a picture exactly as bright as a 24-70mm F/1,8-2,8 FF lens (not F/3,3-5,6). The angle of view and the brightness of the picture will be the same.

What I and any other rational person cares about is the amount of light collected by the sensor per image rather than per square millimeter inasmuch as that is what has an impact on image quality. The "brightness" of an image is solely a matter of how much the original signal is amplified.

In other words, it will be the same photo except for the depth of field, bigger with a m4/3 lens. For FF users, that's an handicap: for me that's a huge advantage, especially in close-up photography.

If you shoot at the same f-stop, the FF gear will get more total light on the sensor and less DoF. If you shoot at equivalent f-stops (e.g., f/4 for MFT versus f/8) the total light as well as the DoF will be the same.

If we look at the evolution of m4/3 lens, it goes in two opposite directions: brighter and heavier pro lenses on one side (F/2,8 zooms and F/1,4 primes for examples), and smaller and sharper consumer lens on the other (Lumix 12-32mm zoom, for example).

Yes, so what?

So let's be back at the original question in this thread: Why not even brighter zooms as the next step in the evolution of our gear?

No reason to go back if we are already there. I tried to answer the original question. You didn't.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow