Why not a 12-35 F1.8 - F2.8?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,654Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not a 12-35 F1.8 - F2.8?
In reply to superstar905, 7 months ago

superstar905 wrote:

You are probably right. Can you explain in simple terms, or perhaps point me to a resource?

The fact that a 12-35/1.8-2.8 for MFT is equivalent to a 24-70/3.5-5.6 on FF with regard to total light on the sensor, DoF, and diffraction doesn't mean that the former can be constructed to be as small, light, and optically good as the latter. From a lens design point of view, the former is a more challenging task than the latter. To get an idea, look at the size/weight of the 14-35/2 for FT versus the Sony-Zeiss 24-70/4 for FE-mount.

The difficulty of going equal with FF increases the faster the FF lens with which we are comparing. For example, there are plenty of f/1.4 primes for FF around. But constructing a matching f/0.7 prime for MFT is a near-impossibility.

CharlesB58 wrote:

superstar905 wrote:

If Sony can make a 28-70 at the equivalent aperture as noted in the subject, why can't we have one for a M43s lens? I mean, the 12-35 is a constant F2.8, but if you compare to the Zeiss offering being the same size as the Panny zoom, I don't see why not......

Because you are misunderstanding "equivalency" in regards to actual lens construction vs how a given lens applies to a given sensor.

-- hide signature --

If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.
http://eyeguessphotography.com
http://livegigshots.com

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow