Where do you order from when you're dropping significant coin?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,367Gear list
Like?
Options + Africa recommendations
In reply to doug wever, 6 months ago

doug wever wrote:

Okay, the Nikon stays home and the recent Olympus Em-1 is going to Africa this month. About to buy a number of accessories, perhaps even some glass.

Cost aside as I can see that for myself, who do you guys really trust when you're dropping one or two k?

Not a fan of Adorama, what about B&H, the GearShop this site, others?

Ebay mostly - I just bought a Panasonic 12-35 lens last month for USD $846. I've also bought a 75-300 II ($535), 12mm f2.0 ($600) and Rokinon 7.5 fisheye ($299) off ebay with no problems.

I have also bought a bunch of accessories - including tripods, a ballhead, camera bags, filters - off ebay with few problems apart from some B+W filters I suspected were fake and sent back for refund.

I bought a 60/f2.8 macro and FL-600R flash from an Australian retailer at good prices (AUD $373 and AUD $262 respectively) - again, with no problems.

My favourite domestic website for camera gear is shashinki (dot) com

If you are going to do game drives in Africa then I would recommend pairing your E-M1 with the 75-300 II and a bag of rice. That's right - a bag of rice, about 1kg or 2kg. You don't have to take it on the plane because you can buy the bag of rice when you get to Africa. Then, when you see those cool animals in the distance, just plonk the bag on the windowsill and use it as a beanbag for your camera - much more stable than a tripod!

Happy shopping!

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow