Canon 5D3 vs Nikon 800E noise tests

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
kymarto
Contributing MemberPosts: 632
Like?
Re: Canon 5D3 vs Nikon 800E noise tests
In reply to ImageAmateur, 8 months ago

ImageAmateur wrote:

Jujst wondering, would be nice to see the original image also (at least to see size and crop area).

Also, confirming that you shot RAW?

That said,

- the Canon 12800 shots actually, despite on first glance looking to have less detail, actually are cleaner (marginally). Looking at the central window mesh, the Nikon image loses a portion of mesh to the right of the white oval in the window, whereas the mesh is barely visible in the Canon image, so noise is stronger in the Nikon image.

Also in the 12800 image, under the window chroma noise seems stronger in the Nikon image, Canon image looks to have retained a general level of less chroma noise.

Query, both 12800 images look more saturated than the 6400 images, has this come straight from the RAW conversion?

I think both have done well, considering one is talking up to ISO 12800 and pulling up shadows 3 stops.

Not much between them.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Yes, both shot RAW (CR2 and NEF).
There were differences in the characteristics in ACR. The Canon shots were more saturated and darker by about 1/2 stop (at rated ISO, f stop and speed). I adjusted so that they were more or less similar-looking, meaning boosting brightness a bit in the Canon images and color balance in the Nikon (+5 red and +5 yellow, midtones).
This was not a formal test, but a perceptive one. I just wanted to see what I could expect from images in each camera at those ISO when I went in to post process and "optimize" them.
Yes, I agree that they are quite similar, which surprised me since I keep hearing how much better the 5D3 is at high ISOs.
The underexposure test is another matter. The Canon really isn't in the league of the Nikon at base ISO, although the Nikon images deteriorate more rapidly as ISOs are boosted. Still, at 800 the Nikon is clearly better than the Canon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow