My experience with the latest D600 Service Advisory (28/03/14)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TommyK
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
My experience with the latest D600 Service Advisory (28/03/14)
8 months ago

My D600 was def initely one that suffered from the oil/dust problems on the sensor. I had it cleaned by Nikon last year for free (1st Service Advisory SA1 - 22/02/2013). I then decided to regularly clean the sensor myself (with limited success). When Nikon announced the 2nd service advisory (SA2 - 26/02/2014) I took them up on their offer of a free replacement shutter. The camera was turned around in one week, fully cleaned and with a new shutter (no complaints about the service).

I shoot sports. Last week, after an intensive weekend at a rugby tournament (>2000 shots), I noticed that the dreaded spots were back. Nikon then released this latest service advisory (SA3 - 28/03/2014) so I contacted them about my recurring spot/dust issue – obviously hoping to get a full replacement or a D610 to finally end this whole sorry saga. Unfortunately I am out of luck – this was the response I received over the phone from the Nikon Service Technician;

- Nikon will replace the whole camera if the shutter has been replaced (under SA2) and only after the camera has been cleaned by them six times.

- They also stated that this only applies to cameras that have their shutters replaced with identical ones and not modified shutter mechanisms.

- My D600 was fitted with a new/modified shutter mechanism so therefore I am not eligible for a replacement. However, they did mentioned that they are happy to keep cleaning it for me – for free.

I asked what the modification consisted of with these new shutter mechanisms. Apparently there is some kind of sticky tape applied somewhere to contain the dust/spots. It seems a very low tech modification and in my case has obviously not made a blind bit of difference.

I’ll certainly be taking the camera back in to get cleaned, but it looks like that’s all I’m going to get. Not impressed.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Cheers,

Tom

Nikon D600 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow