Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dancebert
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Searching for a Comfortable Way to Hold an EM 5 or 10
4 months ago

I'm m43 shopping. The em10 is now on shelves in my country so I was able to play with it. First thing I noticed was it wasn't designed for my hands, same problem I had with the em5. I have large but slender hands. Piano player hands. I'm also too tall for my weight, so my hands are as lightly padded as the rest of me. I'm posting this on the chance I'm doing something spectacularly stupid with my right hand while holding the em5/10.

A photo of me holding the camera would be useful right here, but we'll have to settle for words:
Thumb: on the rear body thumb grip.
Index finger: on the shutter
Middle (& third?) finger tips/first sections: On the front body grip
Camera strap lug: Touching the webbing between the base of index and middle finger.
Camera right rear bottom corner: digging into the X on the illustration

On paper, the em10 is my first choice, but the pain from palm contact is a deal breaker. Yes, pain. I think it's hitting a nerve just right. My questions are:

- Do you have a different way of holding the em5/10 that still allows easy access to the controls while using the EVF?

- Did you have the same ergonomic problems with the camera body I did but solved them with an accessory grip? If so, which grip? None of the camera stores had the Olympus ECG-1 grip in stock so I couldn't try it.

Yes, I'm aware of different ergonomics of other m43 cameras, this thread http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3644419#forum-post-53359719 , and my left hand.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you're carrying.
My best album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98341917@N08/sets/72157634470548031/

Dancebert's gear list:Dancebert's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ECG1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow