Was I snookered? Purchased a very used D700.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
benjaminblack
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
Re: Pro and Journalist selling equipment- run fast...
In reply to wasserball, 7 months ago

wasserball wrote:

Whenever a seller claims to be a "pro" or "journalist" or sports photographer, who claims to have taken care of his equipment, I run away, as fast as I can. I don't care if they "take care of their equipment", their equipment are probably used more and taken more abused than a casual photographer's equipment. I'm a sports photographer. Do you want to buy my 400mm lens in mint condiditon? Just because it's clean looking does not mean the focusing motor has gone through a lot of miles. And, every mechanical device has a certain useful life. Certainly much more used than a 400mm lens from a casual BIF photographer.

This is good advice and spot on. However, I put 100,000 actuations on my camera a year. The cameras go in for clean and check twice a year. They're worked to death, but they're well taken care of. They're not "abused" they're just worked. When I go to sell my bodies they will go for a fair bit less than a "clean" body, but I still think the buyer will be getting a good deal. Especially if they just take a few hundred shots a month.

There's a buyer for every product

benjaminblack's gear list:benjaminblack's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow