How is the magnification in image review on the camera related to print size?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clear glass
Contributing MemberPosts: 688
Like?
How is the magnification in image review on the camera related to print size?
4 months ago

Problem: In looking at a magnified review image on my camera, I want an idea of what print size will give me the same detail in the the portion of print magnified in the camera when it is part of a print of the whole file.

Why this would be useful: If the sharpness of an image breaks down past a certain magnification on the review screen, it would indicate the maximum size of a sharp print.

How I tried to roughly estimate this:

I compared the same image on my cameras review screen and on my computer screen.

(details: Oly E5, jpeg displayed in Element 6 on Samsung screen.)

I estimated very roughly what part of the file was shown in magnified view in the camera at 2X and 14X.

I cropped the image in Elements to very roughly the same size, set it up to print as a 4 x6 image, and multiplied that by the inverse of the magnified image's part of the total image on the review screen. (If the mangified image on the review screen in the camera was 1/6 of the file, I multiplied the size of the print by 6.)

This may be so imprecise it's worthless, but here's what I got:

If the part of the total image at 5x in the review screen was printed with the same detail as part of the whole file in Elements, a print of the total file would be 30 x 25 inches.

If the part of the total image at 14x in the review screen was printed out with the same detail as part of the whole file in Elements (which is the beginning of pixel peep), a print of the total file would be  50 x 60 inches.

Here are my doubts:

Would the results depend on the DPI of the printer or the number of pixels in the camera screen?

If the magnified portion of the print showed the same detail as that portion magnified on the camera screen, might that be less or more than the detail in a print larger than the size I found?

Is the image displayed in the camera's review screen optimized (and so changed) for that screen?

Please, does anyone does anyone know a rule of thumb to cover this; can anyone explain the variables and their relation?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow