I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 11,886
Like?
Question for Scott
In reply to Scott Eaton, 3 months ago

Scott Eaton wrote:

I have my PSE7 install disk just in case I need to pull up a legacy PSD file on a machine that's doesn't have Adobe and otherwise cant read the file.

PSE7 works fine om Win7, albeit with some annoying and minor profile glitches that don't want to save settings. For working with files it's fine. The lack of RAW support though will eventually drive you nuts. Photoshop elements is worth the investment, and/or the Corel Paintshop suite.

Security on Win7 is just like Windows XP in that stupid surfing habits will trump any AV scanner. Don't surf with admin rights and you don't have much to worry about. Most XP users have to run FireFox or Chrome anyways because XP can't be upgraded beyond IE 8.

Norton Ghost 2003 is only useful if you want to do IP multicasts from a floppy. Win7 backup actually works, and there's freeware versions of programs like Macrium that are light years superior.

The biggest improvement is you got a new machine. As I've been telling the media idiots pushing people to 'upgrade' XP there is no "upgrade" for older hardware. An XP era PC or laptop is typically junk anyways and running on borrowed time. You can always load XP inside of Virtual Box for legacy programs.

Please advise what you are referring to in your above comments: "if you want to do IP multicasts from a floppy".  I assume you are referring to Image Backup and Restore but wanted to be certain before continuing my tests.

As already mentioned, I plan to use Macrium with the Win7 Pro 64 bit machine and I have completed two different Backup to Image file plus I have restored and tested both and all was fine.  However, I wanted to satisfy my curiosity by making a Win7 System backup (to image file) using the 1.44 Ghost 2003 Floopy Boot Disk -- then try to restore the image file to a different Hard Drive also using the Floppy.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow