Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
hflavo
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 with classic lens
In reply to SujayM, 8 months ago

SujayM wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Nikon D800 6 months back. I bought Nikon 50 mm 1.8 G and 14-24 2.8 G since i shoot landscape and 50 mm bcos its must have cheap prime for multipurpose use.

Over a period of time i felt 14-24 is too expensive and had drained me out and its inability to take on filters made me sell it... got more than how much i paid though no regrets.

Now i decide on buying budget less for my so demanding monster D800... I need your views and advice on my choice :

Choice 1 : Classic Nikon 28-70 F2.8 AF-S as walk around and Nikon 80-200 F2.8 zoom lens and later add a prime (14mm or 15mm) for my wide angle landscape.

Choice 2 : Nikon 16-35 F4 as my wide angle and walk around lens and 80-200 Nikon F2.8 for tele zoom lens...

Choice 3 : Your recommendation to satisfy my wide angle, walk around and tele zoom lens.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Regards

Sujay

Here's a suggestion:

Sigma is just bringing out a 24-105mm f/4 for Nikon ... part of there new "A" series (their best).  It is already out for Canon: on their 6D and 5Diii full frames, it is sharper wide to tele than most primes (DxO) starting right with f4.  This will cover your basic wide, and as a walkaround as well. $900.

Add the 80-200mm .... it is an excellent lens and works well with my D600. $750 used two-ring.  If you need stabilization the 70-300mm VR performs way beyond it's modes price. $300 used.

With the 80-200mm, that still leaves you $50.  Pick up a Nikon Series E 50mm for about that amount of money.  It is a slick little manual with excellent optics that you can use for low-light, and slip in a pocket while using your walkaround.  I've also have that for the D600 and it is extremely sharp.

When you come up with additional dollars, consider adding a Nikon or Tokina DX 12-24.  These work well on full-frame from 18-24mm and do not trigger the Nikon's auto-DX mode, but instead operate as FX lenses.  I've got one of those as well.  $300 Tokina $450 Nikon, used.

Good luck and enjoy the camera and whatever lens you choose.

-- hide signature --

HARRY LAVO
70+ years and (still) lovin it!
A brace of Nikon bodies | All the glass I need | Manfrotto pods and clamp system| Enough software to still be on the learning curve

hflavo's gear list:hflavo's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow