Best budget prime?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?
the Sigma 60 isn't just for poor students
In reply to 007peter, 8 months ago

Calling the Sigma 60 a "poor student" lens is a disservice to the lens.

I don't know about the other two Sigmas but the Sigma 60 is, in my opinion, a very good lens in an absolute sense. Yes, it's also remarkably affordable, but it wouldn't be a bad choice even if it cost more. As for the fact that it's "only" f2.8, it's good to remember that the f-stop isn't some sort of absolute (except in mathematical terms). Depth of field is a function not just of the aperture but also the focal length — and distance to the focal plane. So at 60mm on a micro four thirds lens, with camera about 8ft from the subject, f2.8 provides depth of field measured in inches.

I can also recommend these lenses:

• Panasonic 14 f2.5
  • Panasonic 20 f1.7
  • Olympus 45 f1.8
  • Rokinon/Samyang 85 f1.4

They're all quite good. The Rokinon 85 f1.4 is all manual, but results are excellent. On a tripod it's an outstanding portrait lens.

NONE of these lenses cost over $500. Using 36x24 (so-called "full frame") bodies I paid three and four times more for lenses that were no better than any of the above.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow