Traveling heavy (D3s) to light (D800)....not the files : )

Started Apr 1, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,557Gear list
Like?
Re: Traveling heavy (D3s) to light (D800)....not the files : )
In reply to svai2, Apr 1, 2014

I've gone through various setups to travel 'lighter' (lighter than bringing the whole backpack), while trying to maintain highest IQ.

While I've not gone from D3s to D800, I do now travel with a D800e.   And I always have a grip on there, so it probably isn't any lighter than a D3s.

My upper limit for lenses and cameras is 'whatever fits in my waist bag'.   Gotta draw a limit somewhere, and the waist bag I have is the most comfortable way I know of to carry my gear.  (Waist strap combined with a cross-shoulder strap).   I use a Thinktank Speed Racer.   It will certainly carry more gear than a single camera and two primes, but it really has a problem with the 14-24.

With DX, I crammed 12-24, 24-70, 80-400AF-D and 10.5 fisheye in there with a D300+grip.  (And the Speed Racer is needed for cameras with grips.  Otherwise you can use a Speed Demon or Speed Freak.)

With FX, the problems began with the 14-24.   If I put that in, something else had to come out.  Eventually, when I went from D300 to D700, I decided that 24mm was wide enough, so I left out a wide zoom entirely.   And I went from the 80-400AF-D to my old 80-200F2.8, just because I once again liked the 80-200 range (on FX).

For a big Euro trip last year, I decided I needed more range for flexibility.  So I added a 16-35 (about the size of the 12-24DX) and switched from 80-200 to 80-400g.

I also, at times, carried the Sigma 35F1.4 and Nikon 85F1.8g instead.

I've never really liked traveling with the 70-200 much.  It's quite a long lens, and in the bag I use, that becomes a small issue.  If I mount the camera to it, it sticks up so high it's a problem zipping the bag closed.   If I put it off to the side of the camera in my waist bag, it sticks up where the camera sides are, so I still have the same issue.   I prefer carrying the 80-400g, because they are about the same length for packing and about the same weight.   But I can zoom in on architectural details nicely.   I ended up using the 80-400g far more in Europe than the 16-35.

Seems like if you are going for a prime solution, then the 180F2.8 prime may be a nice fit instead of the 70-200.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow