Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,827
Like?
Re: Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.
In reply to Bill Robb, 6 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

GeraldW wrote:

Think of poor Pentax. First bought up by Hoya, stripped of its medical instrument business and then sold to Ricoh, who have kept the Ricoh name for the P&S lines.

Pentax is doing very well indeed under Ricoh. When Hoya bought Pentax they made no pretense at all about the camera division. They wanted the medical instruments division and nothing else. I suspect that at this juncture, Pentax has more R&D resources than they have ever had in the entire history of the brand.

I think Pentax is very well positioned generally, at least while DSLR's offer performance advantages.

Whats really worked in their favour I'd say is that Canon and Nikon have focused their premium releases on larger DSLR bodies and FF lenses which has left room for other brands to focus on smaller premium products. Mirrorless has I'd say benefited from this as well(especially Fuji) but the advantage Pentax has is that it isnt having to invest in new tech and arguably has less direct competision.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow