Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?
My experience, for what it worth
In reply to Jkim7, 3 months ago

I tried D5200 before committing to Nex 6. I am a longtime Canon shooter, bought a used Nex F3, when it died decided I didn't want to go back to old Canon brick with their sensor that was decent but definitely getting long in the tooth. I was always curious about Nikon, and D5200 had rave reviews.

I hated it. I couldn't get a single sharp photo. I don't know if this was because of the IQ of the Nikon kit lenses (18-55 VR and 70-300 VR) or because of the dreaded "mirror slap" but my T3i would blow it away even with an old and abused EF28-90 film kit which wasn't all that good. I am tending to blame the lenses because the output was soft at any speed. Not out of focus, just soft.

I also disliked the Jpeg colors coming out of Nikon, although this is subjective. To me, Canon colors look warm, Sony is on the cooler side with a tendency to saturate orange, and Nikon was snot green.  Nothing that can't be fixed in post.

Finally, I realized that I didn't want to go back to a DSLR. I was getting worse output with a much bigger and heavier package ( to be fair, D5200 was light as far as DSLRs go).

So I returned that Nikon and got Nex 6 instead. If I ever go back to DSLR, I would consider Canon first.

Now, Nikon (and Canon) do have many more lenses to chose from.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow