Any Reason to get D5300 over Sony A6000?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?
My experience, for what it worth
In reply to Jkim7, 8 months ago

I tried D5200 before committing to Nex 6. I am a longtime Canon shooter, bought a used Nex F3, when it died decided I didn't want to go back to old Canon brick with their sensor that was decent but definitely getting long in the tooth. I was always curious about Nikon, and D5200 had rave reviews.

I hated it. I couldn't get a single sharp photo. I don't know if this was because of the IQ of the Nikon kit lenses (18-55 VR and 70-300 VR) or because of the dreaded "mirror slap" but my T3i would blow it away even with an old and abused EF28-90 film kit which wasn't all that good. I am tending to blame the lenses because the output was soft at any speed. Not out of focus, just soft.

I also disliked the Jpeg colors coming out of Nikon, although this is subjective. To me, Canon colors look warm, Sony is on the cooler side with a tendency to saturate orange, and Nikon was snot green.  Nothing that can't be fixed in post.

Finally, I realized that I didn't want to go back to a DSLR. I was getting worse output with a much bigger and heavier package ( to be fair, D5200 was light as far as DSLRs go).

So I returned that Nikon and got Nex 6 instead. If I ever go back to DSLR, I would consider Canon first.

Now, Nikon (and Canon) do have many more lenses to chose from.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow