Best budget prime?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
Re: Best budget prime?
In reply to jamiegoldsworthy, 8 months ago

jamiegoldsworthy wrote:

Im a student, and consequently poor. I'am relatively new to photography and was bought my first 'proper' camera for Christmas, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, with kit 14-42mm and the Panasonic 45-150mm zoom lens. I know its slightly outdated camera but it does the job for me and I do really love it and so far have learnt alot and started getting the results I want.

However, over the next couple of months whilst working in the summer I am hoping to buy my first prime lens and I am looking for some advice. I shoot a variety of subjects and I am looking for a good everyday lens. I can't decide what lens is best for me. I like shallow DOF, love it in fact, however I cannot afford a lot, and take my camera everywhere so having a lens that works in different situations is perfect.

So I ask you this, what lens would you lovely people recommend that is reasonably versatile, can get decent DOF when its wanted and is easy on the wallet?

I know there are other threads that deal with this but some peoples idea of budget is vastly different to mine. I am a student after all!

Thank you all so much for any advice! I dont want to ask anyone to look at my flickr to see what kind of photo I take because I dont want to look like Im fishing for views but if anyone is kind enough to take the time to have a peek please let me know

If you are going for a prime and want shallow DOF then you need a fast lens and a longer focal length. The Olympus 45mm f1.8 makes for a nice portrait lens and can achieve shallow DOF without too much difficulty. 45mm is not everyones idea of a general purpose lens, particularly for use indoors, unless in a large room. It is more affordable than some of the other primes, but still not cheap.

The Sigma f2.8 primes are less expensive but being f2.8 and shorter focal lengths you would need to have great distance between subject and background to create isolation through DOF.

If you don't mind manual focus you could pick up an older 50mm f1.8 to use with an adapter. Just be aware that mount misalignment can cause serious degradation in a lenses optical performance, and with adapted lenses you now have four mount surfaces from three different sources. If you go this route make sure that either the lens or the adapter has an aperture control.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow