ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
redguy22
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
18 mpixel sensor pixel size vs older types
5 months ago

Heya folks,

I just came across some info how big pixels are on different cameras and sensors. And noticed that my old (But still decent) Canon EOS 1000d/ Rebel XS has a bigger pixel size, but less megapixels.

The new 18 megapixel sensors on the 600D/700D/100D(T3i/T4i) have obviously more pixels, but are abit smaller. 5.7µm on the 1000D vs 4.3µm on the 700D & co.

Pretty curious how this affects the quality of pictures. From what I understand so far the 1000d should perform a bit better on the noise part (minus the noise reduction settings) but the 700D & co should perform a bit better on daylight scenes.

Just trying to understand sensor mechanics a bit. And trying to see if Canon sacrifices noise performance for more megapixels.

Or I am just plain wrong on everything, oops? but, I'm happy to hear the correct info in that case.

redguy22's gear list:redguy22's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow