Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,756Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 with classic lens
In reply to SujayM, 6 months ago

SujayM wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Nikon D800 6 months back. I bought Nikon 50 mm 1.8 G and 14-24 2.8 G since i shoot landscape and 50 mm bcos its must have cheap prime for multipurpose use.

Over a period of time i felt 14-24 is too expensive and had drained me out and its inability to take on filters made me sell it... got more than how much i paid though no regrets.

Now i decide on buying budget less for my so demanding monster D800... I need your views and advice on my choice :

That's like mixing matter and antimatter in the same bowl.

Unfortunately, wide angle and ultra wide angle is simply going to be expensive.

There are a number of budget zooms if money is the overriding factor.

UWA primes that are reasonable cheap might be the Samyang 14mm and 24mm.  Both are manual and both relatively cheap (less than $400 and $700 respectively).  They are not as good as your Nikkor you sold, but that's the way it goes.  They are not crap, either.

Choice 1 : Classic Nikon 28-70 F2.8 AF-S as walk around and Nikon 80-200 F2.8 zoom lens and later add a prime (14mm or 15mm) for my wide angle landscape.

I can't say.  I don't like zooms.

Choice 2 : Nikon 16-35 F4 as my wide angle and walk around lens and 80-200 Nikon F2.8 for tele zoom lens...

Okay in the middle of the zoom for overall sharpness, but looses the corners at 16 and 35mm.  16mm has a lot of distortion that needs to be removed post processing.

Choice 3 : Your recommendation to satisfy my wide angle, walk around and tele zoom lens.

For walking around I like light, so you might want to consider the new 35mm f/1.8 FX prime to accompany your 50mm.

Any suggestion is much appreciated.

Regards

Sujay

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow