Novice NEX-3n user- Sigma 19mm or 30mm for Europe? (Or Sony SEL35F18?)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wanderer3
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Novice NEX-3n user- Sigma 19mm or 30mm for Europe? (Or Sony SEL35F18?)
3 months ago

Hi all,

I recently graduated from a point and shoot to a Sony NEX-3n, which my husband purchased for me as a gift because he thought it would be a good interchangeable lens starter kit.

We are headed to Europe for 8 months. We'll be living in Scotland but traveling to southern Spain, Paris, Rome, Venice, etc.

He will be working much of the time, so unless we are vacationing, I will have three children in tow, including a very active preschooler. So I'm looking to keep things simple in terms of what I carry around.

So far, I have been pretty happy with the kit lens. We take a lot of family pictures, pics of kids, garden, etc. I've gotten some decent bokeh shots and the macro has been pretty decent for garden pics.

I suspect I'll be doing a few sweeping landscapes and architecture, but also a LOT of low light shots inside museums and churches or at sunset.

Whatever I get, I need to keep my process simple and as portable as possible. I have a budget of $650, but I would really rather not use it. The Sigmas are appealing because of the price.

I've been going off of this wirecutter article:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/these-are-the-first-lenses-you-should-buy-for-a-sony-nex/

Not sure where to start!  I don't think I need to have this be a pocket camera (I don't really want to sacrifice picture quality just to get a pancake) but I don't want a bag full of gear, either. Basically, I just want something that will let me take great memory pictures that will also allow me to come home with a few ooh-and-ahh pictures. (Hopefully my improving skills will help out in that department.)

I thought I'd settled on one of the Sigmas, but I honestly don't know if I need a wide prime or not.  There will be sweeping landscapes, but there will be lots of pics of children as well.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations!

W

Sony Alpha NEX-3N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow