NEX 6 lens choice - 18-55, 18-105, 16-70 ... or new system?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
trax87
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?
Re: NEX 6 lens choice - 18-55, 18-105, 16-70 ... or new system?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, 3 months ago

John Knuhtsen wrote:

Zoom, zoom, zoom. A good idea ?

The nex6 sensor deserves something resolving better. So my bid would be:

- get the E-mount 55-210. It is cheap, and rather good when stopped down to F8. Stabilized.

- get the pancake 16 mm F/2.8 plus the UWA adapter: giving 12 mm focal length. Zoom is not very important with such a wide lens. Image quality is not worse with the UWA.

These two will extend your working range and creativity.

- get one prime lens and evaluate using manual lenses. To me Nex6 is unique for that. I can recommend one with 24 to 40 mm focal lenth. But get a very sharp one to use the image sensors full capacity. It would be economically wise to get a legacy one. I can recommend a Olympus Pen F 38 or 40, since the adapter is tiny.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks.  I appreciate your thoughts and understand why many people  prefer to rely primarily on prime lenses.

I have the 55-210, the 16mm F/2.8 with UWA and the 35mm f1.8.   I also have a 50mm minolta manual lens that has a bit of a sticky focus ring at one spot, so I haven't used it much.  What I feel I am really missing is a good walk-around zoom lens.  Sometimes  that is really the best option for me.  When wandering around a city, for example, especially if with someone else and not necessarily on a photo outing, changing lenses can be a real pain. Also, as I continue to try to expand my skills, i will sometimes take a photo workshop and they often suggest zoom lenses for convenience and to be able to experiment with multiple focal lengths for the same shots quickly.   I have been using my 16-50pz in these situations, but I find the constantly retracting power zoom and the awkwardness of adjusting the zoom focal length to be a pain (not to mention the looks one gets when pulling out a NEX with the tiny power zoom when everyone else at a workshop is using a DSLR with a "real" lens. lol).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow