Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,251Gear list
Like?
Re: Does Sony's "clear zoom" work with non-Sony lenses? Or with the LA-EA2 + A-mount?
In reply to Digital Nigel, 8 months ago

The two images have some differences.  Here are my observations.

Even without much pixel-peeping, the first photo is brighter.  I'm not sure if this affects the results (possibly washing away some details?).  Since the exposure is the same, perhaps the different processing affected one or the other.  Without pixel-peeping, the 2nd one has better contrast and color.

Zooming into the details (after bringing up the original of both), the first image has smoother diagonals.  The 2nd has more staircase/jaggy artifacts, implying a lower res and more harsh look, so the 1st one looks better in that regard. There's not enough detail in the remote to really determine if more real detail is preserved; the first image has a smoother result there.

Moving onto the map area, the 2nd photo contains more detail in the shading.  (You can see the lines more clearly.)  This is the only thing I can see in the images which is near the limit of the resolution, so I'd say more detail is being preserved in the 2nd.

If forced to choose one, I'd pick the 2nd photo, given the two presented, partially for the better contrast/exposure and partially for the additional detail.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow