Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?
Re: Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?
In reply to jkspepper, 8 months ago

Hi,

I don't have an A7r to dump but I'd interested to see the specs of an "affordable" MF digital camera.  I'm an old MF and LF man and am still attracted to large detailed landscape prints which is probably one niche suited to such a camera.

The Pentax 645D is currently the camera to beat price wise (at $10K plus lens).  The only way I can see Sony offering a camera that is really different from a MF DSLR (Pentax & Hassleblad) or a modular system (Alpa, Linhof, Phase One, etc) would be to offer a mirror-less camera like an oversize A7.  I don't know if there's good business in that.......it needs to make economic sense.

As this thread shows, potential users have very different tastes in possible uses and lens choice - the comments here about preferred lenses range from a 25mm WA to a 150mm short tele.........  So a fixed lens standard or semi wide like the RX1 isn't going to 'cut it' with all users.  They'd need around four new primes to launch with the body.  OTOH I suppose the Chinese adapter industry might open up access to the vast range of fabulous Pentax 645 and 67 MF lenses that today sell on e-Bay for a song.

Everything here is founded on a weak rumor and every comment is conjecture.  Let's see if a camera emerges at all.  And in the mean time, Sony have another ten lenses to develop for their FE roadmap.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow