Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,230
Like?
Re: What's with no new Canon SLR's?
In reply to pdqgp, 3 months ago

pdqgp wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/24/weak-yen-masks-hard-times-as-mirrorless-and-dslr-sales-decline?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_3

It also reporting its first sustained fall in interchangeable lens camera (ILC) sales since the launch of the EOS Rebel / 300D in late 2003. Interchangeable lens camera sales volumes fell 7% for the year. These falls only resulted in a 1.7% decline in sales income, thanks to exchange rate changes - it would have been a 18.8% fall if currency effects were removed.

I'm not surprised sales have fallen for Canon. Lots of factors involved in that I'm sure, including the bell-curve of sales in general. However, what I see is they have failed to take the next step well in advance of this drop. That's on them. Part of that includes producing products that continue to provide strong value.

Personally, I'm not looking to spend more than $1,500 on a body but I'm also not looking to settle for the IQ that today's Canon's offer. I want more.

-- hide signature --

"If you're not having fun at whatever it is you're doing, you're doing it wrong"

Just got back from Switzerland and I payed attention to cameras hanging from peoples necks. I figure it was about 90% DSLR's and 10% ILC. 80% of the 90 were Canon and Nikon. It seemed to be a pretty even split between Canon and Nikon owners. It did seem that about every 5th person had a DSLR.

I went with my best friend who is into Nikon. We had a running joke - "hey look at those camera geeks" and it was a pretty steady line.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow