Who's eagerly awaiting the rumoured Sony MF mirrorless?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 400
Like?
Re: Trust me……...
In reply to ebuddha, 6 months ago

ebuddha wrote:

jkspepper wrote:

jkspepper wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

Most people don't know what to do with 24 mp. Among those that do most will not having the equipment to properly manage the files.

My guess is that the camera wold sell to the elite pros and the "more money then brains" poseurs but maybe I am missing something.......

First of all, "most people" also don't participate in this forum; they're not part of this discussion. Most of "most people" are happy with cell phones and entry level DSLRs.

Second, if your opinion of a MF camera that sells for significantly less that any other MF is that it's only for "elite pros and the "more money then brains"", then it sounds like you see no need for medium format at all, ever. I think there are plenty of pro and amateur still life, landscape, portrait, architectural, and artistic photographers that would not agree with you.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

When I say 99.99 % I am including this forum.

That is not to say that people cannot convince themselves that they need MF; they can. That doesn't mean that they really need it or know what to do with it.

Tell me which oeuvre has been presented in this forum that, in your opinion, would be qualitatively improved by the acquisition of a medium format system?

The answer is, wait for it, none.

With thousands are the world's best photographers establishing international reputations with 35mm cameras it is easy to see that medium format is a specialty system that is utilized in specialized professional applications. The cost, incidently, is written off as a business expense.

Put another way - How many people here have photographic needs that transcend the capabilities of the D800E ?

How many people would find a 991 GT3 too slow?

Again; a rarefied elite or people who are looking for some fancy (er) toys.

Note that I don't think buying expensive toys makes someone a bad person. It is your money and how you spend it is your business.

I just don't think it is good to fool yourself into spending money on depreciating assists when you don't need them.

I think you are confusing the issue here.

No one has stated they needed one as their skill outclasses what's already out there, no one (as far as I can recall) has stated that they needed on to improve their photography, no one as I can recall either has even stated that their current devices are not enough.

I, and I presume others similar to me participating in this thread, just want one.

I am not denying anything you stated but I think you fail to realise that I (I'm not going to speak for others now) know that I am not a great photographer, I am well aware that my current level of skill will not even be able to max out my X-E1 let alone a high-MP MF but just want one because I can, because its fun and because.. well, just because.

Whether I can afford it or not depends on my disposable income. If I have a good job, stable home, family and my future sorted - why can't I add a potential Sony MF to my already existing X-E1, X-T1, RX1 and A7R camera collection?

In reading your reply, where you state "you just 'want' one" referring to what may be a $10 to $20 thousand commitment (depending on whether it is a fixed lens model or ILC), acknowledging your skills couldn't begin to match the tool, I could only think of Forrest Gump, "stupid is what stupid does".

We'll with that what's the point in buying anything at all? Porsches, Ferraris and all that fuzz are made for just one reason, because we can. Stupid is as stupid does I suppose but life is nothing if you can't live it once in a while. If you've got excess beans after counting them you may as well enjoy it, at the end if the day it's just money.

At least you agree that a sony 50mp med fmt would be as unnecessarily over powered as a ferrari for most people.

This is a cautionary tale of an idiot who can't handle a Lamborghini
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY

Never disputed it that fact in the first instance.  Does not stop me from wanting one however

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow