Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,368
Like?
Re: Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.
In reply to GeraldW, 4 months ago

GeraldW wrote:
A decade? I think that's a bit too harsh. I'd also put the RX100 up in the premium FLC category - it's hardly a mindless point and shoot. Much more like a second small camera for the serious hobbyist.

From the distant future, the year 2000:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioqv3000

I had one of these. 1/1.8" sensor. f/2-8 lens.

For comparison, a modern premium like a Canon S110 is 1/1.7" sensor, and f/2-5.9 lens. Has it improved? Without a doubt. It's smaller. It has more megapixels. It has a bigger display. It does video. Have there been any groundbreaking improvements? Without a doubt, no.

Then the RX100 came out, and fit a much bigger sensor and somewhat faster lens into the same package, and made it competitive in image quality with a dSLR. That was groundbreaking.

Canon Rumors just showed a dual sensor, twin lens cell phone.

The concept has been out there for a while. Pelican Imaging. HTC M8. Etc. It's a good idea. I'd give better than 50/50 odds that it will eventually displace a big chunk of the dSLR market -- but I wouldn't take 70/30.

I'd have liked to be able to download third party firmware directly into the camera to modify behavior and work around frustrations. It would have significantly reduced model turnover for me.

For me, it might actually increase turnover. I don't just want to work around frustrations -- that too -- but I want lots of new features.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow