Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
georgehudetz
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?
A snug camera bag for a moderate Fuji kit
5 months ago

Like many others who have posted here recently, I’ve been looking for a small-ish bag for my Fuji kit. In particular, I was looking for a bag that could handle an X-Pro1, a few primes, and the 55-200. While this isn’t my full kit, I wanted something I could have over my shoulder for a long day that could carry my most valued lenses for city/architecture shooting.

To that end, I recently ordered a Domke F-5XB. I was concerned that perhaps it would be too small, but I gave it a shot and I’m glad I did.

I’ve been able to fit the following in the F-5XB:

- X-Pro1 with 35mm prime mounted, including lens hood & plastic hood cover.

- 14mm prime with hood mounted in stored position, wrapped up in a Fuji black bag

- 18mm prime, wrapped up in a Fuji black bag.

- 55-200, with no bag

- Sling strap from a Black Rapid SnapR bag

- Two extra batteries & a card.

Eventually when I get the 23, I should also be able to do a 14/23/35/55-200.

Now, this is a snug fit, but it works. The Domke has three compartments with the ubiquitous adjustable dividers, and I put the body in the middle, with the 14 & 18 on one side, and the 55-200 on the other, as the pics show below. This would be even easier if I were to mount the 14 & 18 to one of those nifty 3D-printed dual-sided lens caps that let you mate two lenses into one rigid assembly.

As others have noted about Domke, the bag is soft and it molds itself to your body well. The strap is wide & has embedded rubber to keep it from slipping. Very comfortable overall.

The front pocket is nice & wide, but you can’t put anything much thicker than a battery in it (although it can handle multiple batteries & a card wallet, for example.

There is a zipper under the Velcro flap, which not everyone will like. It does make ingress and egress of the camera body a little more fiddly that it would be without, but I welcome the added protection.

One thing I can’t do with this configuration is put the camera in the bag with the 55-200 mounted. So if you need that kind of quick-stow capability and carry a zoom, this bag may not be for you.

So, overall I’d say this is a nice, snug solution for a moderate Fuji kit. I’m sure it could be used for the following combinations (all with a body with one lens mounted):

- 18-55 & 55-200, possibly with a pancake or two as well.

- 14/23/35/56, again with room for a pancake if you desire

- Not sure about the 10-24, depends on the diameter. If it’s much larger in diameter than the 55-200 it would make the pack bulge.

Overall, the F-5XB is very close to perfect for my needs in a walk-around bag, and I won’t look any further. If you are looking for an understated, durable bag that can carry some of the kit combos I list above, the F-5XB is a great option.

All wrapped up

Top flap back to reveal the zipper

Zipper open

Everything out!

-- hide signature --

My Flikr stream: http://flic.kr/ps/Ay8ka

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
georgehudetz's score
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow