ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
Wide Options for a D700
5 months ago

Hello,

I will be buying a Sigma 35mm ART for my D700. But there will be times when the 35mm FOV will not be wide enough for me so I'd like to complement it with a wide lens that will not cost me much and take up much space in my bag.

The lens also needs to be at least 2.8, for I like to stroll at night and nearly all of my photos are taken hand-held.

I am not so sure about the FOV I need, tho. In my E-M5 I was using a 14mm (which translates into 28~31 mm FF, roughly, due to difference of sensor aspects) and it wasn't always as wide as I liked. So I think I might be served with a FOV around 24~20mm.

I am not really interested in the old 20 and 24mm 2.8, since they do not seem to provide sufficient performance wide open, or even at f/4.0. They are small as I like, but optically not preferable.

As long as it provides good quality wide open and I am out of AF options, I can also live with MF lenses (since I'll nearly always be using them focused at infinity) I also researched the 28mm 2.8 AIS which gets good reviews, but the opinion on this lens is that it is excellent up close and bad at infinity wide open. And I am not so sure about the performance of 24 2.8 AIS.

I know there is a good Samyang 24mm 1.4 but that lens is huge..

So what are other options you might wish to recommend me?

Thank you in advance.

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow