Minolta 50s and the A7

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Murx
Regular MemberPosts: 166
Like?
Re: your photos sure isn't impressing :)
In reply to forpetessake, 5 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

Murx wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

kuuan wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

I've had a dozen of different old ~50mm lenses, including several Minoltas. They are cheap and widely available, so it doesn't take much to build a big collection. Some samples are here . I got rid of most of them, still have Minolta 50/1.7 and 45/2 -- they are too cheap to bother selling them, and keeping Canon FD 50/1.4 for sentimental value, and it's probably the best of any other old 50mm lens. Still, the Sony 50/1.8 was noticeably better than any of those. Here is a comparison with Rokkor 50/1.4

note : the best lens in your test in terms of sharpness @ its respective sweetspot is not the sel but the fd 28/2.0 ...

I'm not sure I can declare a winner here, but in my memory the Canon FD and Nikon lenses were noticeably better than the lenses from the third tier manufacturers like Minolta, Konica, Olympus (with the exception of some Olympus Pen-F, which were very good). Most of FD lenses I tried when stopped down sowed great resolution and contrast. Wide open though they showed worse halation, flare, and CA than the modern glass.

ah - but thats just coatings and even more critically: "wide open" == 1.8 @ 50 these days for a 1k$ lens. chickens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow