XT1 - Truly Superior IQ

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,915Gear list
Like?
Re: THIS is what started this whole thread????!!!!????
In reply to Photo-Wiz, 5 months ago

Photo-Wiz wrote:

Thank you for your post. I really appreciate it. I went back and looked at some of my old EM5 pictures, and indeed I took some with the 12-50mm lens. I also took some with the 14-42mm and the 40-150mm lenses. (amazing how helpful Lightroom is at helping me remember the gear I used.)

In reviewing my old EM5 pictures, some were actually quite good. Many of the 12-50mm photos are very nice. But what I do recall is that too often, the photos were somewhat blurry or lacking in sharpness on the object on which I had focused. Perhaps the problem is that, as you suggest, one that appears only at certain shutter speeds. I don't think it is the lens however, as even the 14-42mm lens sometimes yielded good results. I don't think it is the size of the sensor, because cameras with smaller sensors which I have used (sony RX100, Canon G9, Canon G15) don't have this issue. The M4/3 sensors are large enough to render exquisite photos. I use to own an Olympus EPL1 and it took great pictures using the 14-42mm kit lens. I also use to own Panasonic G1 and GH1, and did not notice any problems.

I had an EPL1 also - it was the camera I bought when I got serious about photography again after many years of just using whatever P&S we had around for family snapshots. It made nice images but I grew to hate that camera! I've liked some cameras more than others but that was the only modern cameras I actively came to dislike. Basically just the controls on the damn thing, having to push a series of buttons to even change the aperture in aperture priority mode! I only had it for a couple of months before getting an EP2 and selling the EPL1 - it hadn't lost much value by then...

So there is something else going on in the GX7 and EM5 (at least in my hands) that I don't understand, which gives me inconsistent results (with respect to sharpness/focus/blurriness).

Interestingly, today I see that Olympus has released a firmware update to address shuttershock issues on the EM1. So perhaps I'm not the only person that has observed this phenomena on Oly cameras...and now GX7.

It's for sure a documented issue - just a question of how serious? I found a problem with so few of my photos that I just chalked it up to the occasional miss, which I often have anyway. I never had a whole series hurt by it. And I never found it at ALL on the GX7 and never saw any mention of it as a problem on that model. Basically just the Olympus models. Nonetheless, I have an EM1, so I'm sure I'll install the new FW once it's out.

When I have used Fuji or Canon or Nikon cameras I have not experienced this at all. I'm puzzled, and perhaps guilty of some user error...but I'm not a troll. And as you can see from the many cameras I have owned, I don't have anything against any of the manufacturers...I like certain cameras more than others. But if a camera looks intriguing and gets good reviews, I won't hesitate to buy it because it comes from manufacturer A, B or C.

Yeah, again, my bad on that. You're clearly not a troll OR novice. I'm sometimes accused of being a troll just because I try to keep an open mind and don't always hold to the party line, so I should be waaaaay more sensitive than to accuse someone of that.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow