Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,931Gear list
Like?
Re: Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.
In reply to Alphoid, 5 months ago

Alphoid wrote:

The core problem with the point-and-shoot market is that, at this point, by-and-large, cell phones are better. Equivalent image quality. Much better feature-set. Smaller. A lot of money going into cell phone cameras. P&S have stagnated -- the RX100 was the first bit of significant progress in about a decade.

A decade?  I think that's a bit too harsh.  I'd also put the RX100 up in the premium FLC category - it's hardly a mindless point and shoot.  Much more like a second small camera for the serious hobbyist.

I suspect cell phones will eventually get camera arrays, at which point, they'll start to eat into dSLR and mirrorless sales. 16 small sensors are arguably better than one sensor 16x as large, and the imaging system is much, much smaller.

Canon Rumors just showed a dual sensor, twin lens cell phone.  They are not sure if it's real or not; but it looks good.  Anyway, the concept is out there.

For cameras to remain competitive, they'll need to do the same thing as the iPhone did to the feature phone -- open up and allow apps and innovation from outside. They'll also need wifi, GSM, etc.

I'd be all for that.  IBM destroyed they leading market share in PC's by keeping it closed.  The parade didn't follow, and when they looked around, there was nobdy there.  I'd have liked to be able to download third party firmware directly into the camera to modify behavior and work around frustrations.  It would have significantly reduced model turnover for me.  It would also be a profit center for the camera companies if they got with it themselves.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow