Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,388
Like?
Re: Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.
In reply to Richard Weisgrau, 5 months ago

Richard Weisgrau wrote:

The introduction of hybrid VFs as in some Fuji models offers a glimpse of the kind of innovation that could be a game changer when it comes to preferred VF systems.

Perhaps. IBIS allows for fast stabilized lenses. That is a gamechanger to me, introduced over a decade ago. Canon and Nikon are still selling cameras without it, and conservative photographer aren't changing.

Sony had a half-dozen game-changer. Tri-navi (NEX7). Bridge automatic mode with manual overrides (A700). So did Panasonic, Olympus, and Pentax. All of them make a big improvement in camera usability. All of them come and go. The new Sony cameras lost tri-navi, and lock out controls in automatic modes just like Canikon.

The more time passes, the more I'm convinced that the serious photographers are ultraconservative, and will buy Canon and Nikon dSLRs no matter how good or bad. Beginners will buy the same brands as professionals -- if your wedding photographer uses a D3S, how can you go wrong buying a D3100?

The optimist in me says we'll have fast on-sensor PDAF, EVF, wifi, appstores, open source OSes, ... The cynic says we'll still be stuck with Canikon dSLRs in a decade, with gradually declining marketshare to rapidly improving cell phone photography.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow