Inconceivable! Nikon can't repair my 80-200 AFS!

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
bryantroll
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: Inconceivable! Nikon can't repair my 80-200 AFS!
In reply to r e cummings, 7 months ago

I just sent in my Nikon 80-200 AF-S to Authorized Photo Service due to erratic autofocus. I'd say about 1 out of 10 times I focus on something far away, it will not autofocus. If I point it at something nearby and focus, then I can point it at the intended far away subject and focus fine.

I was hoping the repair would be minimal but after inspecting the lens they found it needs a pretty extensive repair. The rear mount is worn which I knew and expected needed to be replaced, but they also found that the flex circuit board (fpc) inside the lens needs to be replaced as well. I asked a bit more detail on that and they said they have diagnostic equipment that runs the lens through a series of tests to identify the cause of the issue and that they are confident this is the root of the problem, not just the worn mount creating a poor contact. They will also clean and lubricate everything so it should come back to me even better than I ever remember it.

Unfortunately this full repair requires complete lens disassembly and the cost of the repair is $650 plus shipping costs both ways, which did shock me. I would be more hesitant to blindly give them the go ahead on the repair but since they have so many positive reviews I will have to trust them and just get this thing fixed up and back in my hands. Its a tough situation but the lens is a workhorse and as long as it comes back to me ready to perform as well or better than ever. I purchased the lens in used excellent condition 10 years ago and have used it extensively in that time so I have certainly gotten my value out of it. Hoping I'll get at least another 10 years out of it now.

I also sent in a Nikon 85mm f1.4 AF-D which I suspected had a backfocusing problem, which they confirmed. I was hoping for an inexpensive fix but that one's going to be $170 plus shipping both ways as it apparently required substantially disassembly to adjust the shims in the lens that affect focusing accuracy. Again, not happy, but there's no real choice if it means the equipment will work properly for me.

Unexpected expensive week with these repairs. I need to stop eyeing up this very interesting Sigma 35mm f1.4 and stop the bleeding for a while, haha.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow