I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,894Gear list
Like?
Assuming your are committed to new hardware & OS. . .
In reply to Rossuziers, 6 months ago

. . . don't toss that old Vaio yet.

First it seems by your problems it is not that the hardware or OS is bad but there may be a lot of stuff on the system that may be causing the problems (malware?).

I recently resurrected an old laptop by doing a clean reinstall of Win XpPro using the original Xp install disks. All the old upgrades to Xp are still available online through MS. It took a couple of hours of downloads and upgrades to get the laptop up to the latest Xp status. At this point it runs faster than before and with no problems.

There are malware prevention companies starting to take the lead to provide protection to those of us still running an Xp OS. This will continue and will provide better AV protection than what was available from Xp itself. Of course, one should still be diligent to observe the basic surfing and email precautions. I have no intentions of upgrading a couple of my computers to Win 7 or 8 or even Linux. I should mention that I have computers that I use running Win 8.1 Pro (with the Classic Shell), Win 7 Ultimate and Linux Mint.

For that old Vaio you can reinstall the Xp OS and selected programs that you use or even install Linux Mint which is much like a Windows GUI and installs quite easily including networking. With Linux Mint you can use Wine and some of your old MS programs.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow