Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,040Gear list
Like?
Where is the industry heading - some thoughts.
7 months ago

This is an attempt to throw out some ideas for discussion.  I have divided the industry products into five categories.

1) Smartphones, Tablets, PDA's and the like:  There's no question that use of these for taking pictures is a big thing and is affecting the camera industry.  All the camera companies acknowledge it.  THeir use has eaten away around 50% of the low end fixed lens camera sales and that is having an effect on other categories as companies strive to offset the losses in sales.  This area is the province of peaple from preteens to folks in their 60's.

2) Lower end fixed lens cameras (FLC's), AKA Point and Shoot cameras.  Sales loss here is around 50% and is the segment most affected by camera phones.  However, the sales are not zero - there are still millions being sold.  What it does mean is fewer models and longer times between new models to minimize costs, amortize tooling and start up costs, and maintain profitability.  I think that some more basic and less "feature laden" models might work here.  Something like a return of the Canon A series with AA power.  People who want all the "features" will gravitate to phones or more upscale FLC's.  Older folks and the non-technological would be targets.

3) Premium FLC's: This seems to be a growing segment.  It encompasses cameras like the Canon G & S series, Sony RX models, Fuji  X-20, and so forth.  I'd include the so-called "bridge" cameras here, small sensors or not.  For the camera companies it's a refuge from cell phones.  For the serious photographers, it's a lighter and smaller (in most cases) alternative to DSLR's and mirrorless.  A lot of DSLR users that I know have one of these as a second camera.  sensors range from tiny to FF.  The better ones have very good image quality, rivaling or even exceeding DSLR's and Mirrorless.

4) Mirrorless:  These cover sensor sizes from 1/1.7" to Full Frame.  They seem to have gotten past the "look how small the body is" marketing approach to a more mainstream emphasis on image quality and ergonomics, and bodies have subtly increased in size with better grips.  Lens inventory has been a real issue and still is for some brands; but most lines, and particularly Olympus and Panasonic are now quite broad for amateur use.  Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony appear quite focused in their lines now.  Samsung and Nikon are looking less focused, Pentax has the Q line, and Canon has only token presence.

5) DSLR's:  Only Canon, Nikon, and Pentax are still reliant on the DSLR.  Sony says no more SLT's.  I think the entry level DSLR is vulnerable to Mirrorless; but much less so in the upper-middle and top lines.  Focus tracking of fast action is still a strong suit here, so the camera bays at ball games will still be mostly Canon and Nikon.  They have the rugged cameras, the lens inventory, and both have a strong professional photographer support organization.  I don't think DSLR's will go away; but I do see some erosion from Premium FLC's and Mirrorless as the Mirrorless lens inventory grows.  You do need some size and weight to balance and control large, heavy lenses.  Recently Canon celebrated their 65 millionth DSLR and 100 millionth lens.  That's 1.5 lenses per camera sold on the average.  What that tells me is that only a small percentage buy extra lenses, and that most DSLR buyers only ever use the kit lens.  Those who only use the kit lens might as well have a Premium FLC.  And I'd bet most of them only shoot in Auto.  They bought the camera in the expectation of "better" pictures, and have found they look a lot like the shots they get from their P&S.  You're not going to get a lot of repeat DSLR sales from those people.  That logic also applies to a lot of Mirrorless buyers.

As has been pointed out in several other posts on this forum, all of the camera companies, except Nikon, get the majority of their income and profits from something other than cameras.  Nikon is 74% camera derived, Canon 26%, Olympus 14%, and Fuji 3%.  So if they bleed red ink too long, there is a real possibility that their Board and shareholders will shut it down or sell it off.

As I said in the beginning, I posted this as a discussion topic.  So have at it.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow