Will Olympus have to fix all cameras - like the D600?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff4500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?
Will Olympus have to fix all cameras - like the D600?
9 months ago

Ok, so the fix for the EM-1 is an admission that the product had a serious enough problem to be addressed. As an owner of an EP5 (Now I haven't seen ss, but I haven't really pixel peeped it) I am now concerned that DPRview's review was correct about the EP5. Will Olympus fix this without the threat of a class action suite or will they have to be forced to fix it like Nikon was?

As I see it, this is not a case of "Oh, its an easy fix with the Panasonic sensor, so lets do it and not fix the other products that have this issue that impacts their designed use. I think the D600 case sets a precedent that when collective groups of customers bring focus to a design error that the company has respond.

With no statement from Olympus about why this change was implemented and if it was done this way because of the Panasonic shutter, it appears that they are hoping for "plausible deny ability". This is an interesting case given the scope of it. Some people who have the extended warranties can now claim to have their cameras fixed under warranty for this issue, others will have to either join a class action or wait for Olympus to do the right thing.

Even if the Em-1 fix was the right thing to do, I think they have opened up a can of worms by doing it, and thus acknowledging the issue. As this plays out over the next week or so it will be interesting to see how many threads their are and how Olympus deals with the issue.

-- hide signature --
 Jeff4500's gear list:Jeff4500's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
Nikon D600 Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow