I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: I've Drunk The Demise of XP KoolAid:
In reply to Rossuziers, 9 months ago

Rossuziers wrote:

For the most part I just surf & get by editing my pics (JPG) in FastStone mostly or sometimes PSE7 & PSE7 is the vehicle by which my pics are transferred to my machine...

My main reason for posting this is to ask if the relatively long-in-the-tooth PSE7 will still work in Win7 on an i5? Or do I have to step up to the newer version of PSE that makes use of the quad-core & considerably more memory I'll soon have?

I have one laptop running PSE9 on Win7 and it seems to work fine. It came bundled with the machine. My guess would be that PSE7 will work. I currently run PSE11 on Windows 8.1 x64. The Win7 machine is x64 as well.

That said, I would suggest it may be a worthwhile investment to upgrade, or most times it is cheaper to just buy a new version of PSE - $50 on sale at Amazon. I find the Adobe Camera RAW part of PSE is the most powerful tool for doing basic editing of both RAW and JPEG files. If you have not tried it, I would suggest you do. In Editor just go to File, Open As, and then select the file you want to edit, and click on the long string of RAW file types instead of JPEG. When you do that it will open in Adobe Camera RAW. That should work in PSE7. However, over the years Adobe has upgraded the process it uses to edit files with ACR. I believe your PSE7 has the oldest 2003 Process. It was then updated to the 2010 Process, and currently is the 2012 Process in Elements 11 and later.

I find adjusting the white balance, exposure, contrast, etc very simple and powerful. The results in my view are much better than using the controls in the Editor. I have only used the latest 2012 version though. If you are interested, there are many free youtube videos on how to use the controls. ACR is the best kept secret of Photoshop Elements.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow