D800- my experience

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,833Gear list
Like?
Re: QED
In reply to PatMann, 8 months ago

Pat,

That is Keeneland.  The distracting background is the jumbotron and tote board in the infield - with the center at the finish line.  From where I was standing - there was no way that it would not be in the background.  It is also where the finish line is located.  Just before the finish line is the best place to watch workouts.  If you get past the finish line - the riders are letting up on the horses which gives a boring shot.  Also not shown is the trainers on horse back just at the line with their stop watches.  So the best option for shots is just before the finish line - which is where this is was taken.  Even if I moved - on either side of the board at Keeneland are hedges that run the length of the straight part of the track from the turn into the stretch to the next turn.  The background is not that great anywhere on the front side.

At Tampa - the board is about 1/4 of the size - it is huge at Keeneland and there are no hedges at Tampa.  Keeneland prides it self as being the premier track in the US with the riches race cards having a huge jumbotron so the fans can watch the races and watch replays of the races is part of their mystique. The grandstands are also huge - so the tote boards and jumbrotron needs to be huge.   It is just the nature of the beast.  The other issue with Keeneland is the stands are to the East of the track so by the time the sun shows its getting on to 9 AM and most of the action is before 9 AM - they start training at 5 AM.

So in other words if I shot more time at any frame rate - I would have had trainer's horses in the frame, the horses butt and still had the tote board.

PatMann wrote:

A 3-shot burst at 8 fps would have taken you enough past that distracting background behind the jockey in the second shot to make it much less confusing to the eye.

-- hide signature --

Pat

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow