D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,764
Like?
Re: Future of Sensor tech
In reply to stevo23, 9 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

D Cox wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

There's not many more ways to say it. LARGER SENSORS DO NOT GIVE BETTER IQ PERFORMANCE JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE BIGGER. If you get an advantage in IQ from FF, it's because of the larger aperture lenses.

The better SNR comes from the greater size of the pixels. If two sensors have the same number of Megapixels, the bigger sensor will have bigger pixels. (But you can also get bigger pixels by reducing their number on the same size sensor.)

If you put the same lens on both cameras and use the same exposure settings, the bigger pixels gather more photons, which gives a better SNR in the image. Result, better tonal gradation, less noise, and the possibility of pushing to a higher ISO rating.

I don't think SNR is a result of this, it's more a function of the sensor design itself and not related to pixel size or quantity. Higher resolution - more pixels - can influence DR however.

Higher resolution on the same size sensor means smaller pixels. Each pixel then receives fewer photons, so the noise gets worse. At the shadow end, dynamic range is mainly dependent on the noise level.

Higher resolution on a bigger sensor could give either larger or smaller pixels, depending on the figures.

I agree that over the years improvements in sensor design have reduced noise levels, but this process is getting near to its physical limit. I suppose they could introduce a cooling device into the camera to reduce dark noise (as is done in astronomy).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
PopNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow